- Digital Media is a media in the form of audio, video, pictures, web pages and ebooks that are generated by digital signals. In the modern world of digital electronics, the term digital media is generally associated with digital technology.
- We all know the importance of technology in today’s world which is incomplete without Digital Media. In modern world of electronics it is generally associated with the digital signals. Therefore it is derived from the way digital devices perform operation by counting digits.
- From many years, the main application of digital media is only in the computer system. But today we used it in many other applications such as:
- Communication System
- Radar, navigation and guidance system
- Military systems
- Industrial process control
- Consumer electronics
Evolution Of Digital Media:
- In 1989, Tim Berners Lee, a British scientist, invented the World Wide Web (WWW) to share information. So we can say that there is no existence of digital media without internet. The Internet grew in potential day by day and became the main reason for the development of digital media.
- Today there are many platforms for sharing photos, audio, video, web pages, ebooks, etc . We use to share this data daily with many social and business apps. When we share any type of video, audio, document on the Internet it is comes under the digital media.
- People make money on the Internet by sharing their content to help the people. A good example is YouTube, a YouTuber shares content on YouTube and makes money.
- Television shows video to entertain people. In earlier times cable TV was very popular but now the time of 4k and 8k video clarity which proves the value and importance of digital media.
- Many big companies promote their advertisements on TV to reach the people and TV channels earn from them. Therefore digital media is becoming a main source of advertising in today’s world.
Digital Media Signals:
It is defined as the signal which has only a finite number of distinct values. Digital signals are not continuous signal. They are discrete signals.
Gottfried Leibniz invented the Binary code. If a signal has only two distinct values means zero or one then it is binary signal. So it is is simplest form of representing numbers using a pattern of ones and zeroes. The digital data is represented, stored and transmitted in the form of binary bits.
A signal have eight distinct values is an octal signal. so the octal numbering system uses the numerals 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Therefore it is used as a shorter representation of binary numbers by grouping binary digits into threes.
Similarly, hexadecimal signal is a signal which have sixteen distinct values. It’s easier to read than Binary code, but a whole lot harder to read than English! As computers get more sophisticated, programmers use hexadecimal less, but it is still in use.
Generation of Digital Signals:
By using the process of Analog to Digital conversion we can obtain the digital signals from analog signals. Analog to digital converter do this job. Because analog signals are difficult to store in memory, after conversion to digital, it is possible to store in memory.
Advantages of Digital Signals:
- It is possible to store the digital data.
- Likewise it is simple to process and transmit the digital signals more efficiently and reliably.
- Also as compare to analog signals the effect of noise is less in digital signals. So the digital data is not get corrupt.
For more info